Ultimate Diabetic Sandwich: Peanut Butter and Jelly (PB&J) Sandwich
Everyone loves a good PB&J sandwich, but a traditional sandwich has way too many calories and carbohydrates for a diabetic, so I set out on a quest to create the ultimate diabetic PB&J.
A traditional PB&J sandwich consists of the following:
- 2 slices of bread (120 calories and 24 carbohydrates)
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter (190 calories and 9 carbohydrates)
- 2 tbsp of jelly ( 120 calories and 26 carbohydrates)
Total: 430 calories and 59 carbohydrates.
Compare this to the ultimate diabetic PB&J which consists of the following:
- 2 slices of Natures Own – Whole Wheat – Sugar Free bread (100 calories and 18 carbohydrates)
- 2 tbsp of powdered peanut butter (45 calories and 5 carbohydrates)
- 2 tbsp of sugar-free jelly (20 calories and 10 carbohydrates)
Total: 165 calories and 33 carbohydrates.
That is a 62% decrease in calories and 45% decrease in carbohydrates.
Certainly, the Diabetic PB&J is the best thing that has happened for diabetics like me.